Importing a list of records into MS CRM
In the last post, we downloaded a Dynamics CRM Import Template. Now, it’s time to get some data INTO the system…since that’ll be much more useful.
Contacts are a pretty common import, being something that most sales users will want to do early on. Fortunately, it’s a super simple process to do this!
|Objective:||Download the import templates specific to your organization from the CRM application.|
|CRM Version:||CRM 2011, any version|
|Valid as of:||8/27/2012|
|Permissions Required:||Read/Write Import Job and at least User level Create permissions for the Contact entity.|
- In the navigation pane, click File->Tools->Import Job
- Browse to the .xml/.csv/.zip file that has been prepared
- Click Next
- In this example, since we’ve used the templates that came from CRM, there’s no need to modify the data map (We’ll cover data maps in another post), so click Next
- Accept the default duplicate setting (do not allow) and choose yourself as the record owner.
- Note, the Owner field can be set in the import file, so this is really a means to set the fallback owner if there’s not an exact match
- You’re ready to Submit the Import Job
- The import will be queued up, and the CRM Async Service will do the rest